Saturday 4 April 2020

Second Station: Jesus is betrayed by Judas and arrested

As he was yet speaking, behold a multitude; and he that was called Judas, one of the twelve, went before them, and drew near to Jesus, for to kiss him. And Jesus said to him: Judas, dost thou betray the Son of man with a kiss?And they that were about him, seeing what would follow, said to him: Lord, shall we strike with the sword? And one of them struck the servant of the high priest, and cut off his right ear. But Jesus answering, said: Suffer ye thus far. And when he had touched his ear, he healed him. And Jesus said to the chief priests, and magistrates of the temple, and the ancients, that were come unto him: Are ye come out, as it were against a thief, with swords and clubs? When I was daily with you in the temple, you did not stretch forth your hands against me: but this is your hour, and the power of darkness.
(Lk 22:47-53, Douay-Rheims Version)
I have asked myself why Judas would betray Jesus who loved him. Was Judas so corrupted that he could only repay evil for good? Why would Jesus, who seemed to know many things, choose someone who would betray him? In response to the first question, I realise that I am like Judas in many ways. I know God’s love because I have experienced His love. I have believed in the Son of God who died for me because God loved me. Yet, I would betray God time and time again in my sins. Why do I repay evil for good? Am I as corrupted as Judas?

Judas betrayed Jesus with a kiss. A sign of friendship becomes the sign of betrayal. Years ago, I came across a meditative song entitled Why? Michael Card, whom I believe wrote the music and lyrics, made this observation:
Only a friend can betray a friend, a stranger has nothing to gain
And only a friend comes close enough to ever cause so much pain
Jesus chose Judas as a disciple and allowed him into His life, His thoughts and His affections. Jesus considered Judas a friend and allowed him (Judas) to be close to Him. He must have been devastated to experience betrayal through the gesture used by friends: a kiss. Judas would be accused of bringing harm to Jesus if he (Judas) was merely a stranger. It is precisely because Judas was part of the closest circle of Jesus’ friends that his actions was seen as a betrayal.

Perhaps Judas was not able to accept the entire message of Jesus. Perhaps that was why he gave up on Jesus and focussed on his own wants. Perhaps he joined Jesus because he accepted the part of the message of Jesus that appealed to him but got disillusioned when the message did not satisfy what he expected of Jesus. Perhaps that is what caused Judas to betray his friend and master, Jesus.

When I consider my betrayals of Jesus, I also see those times when I did not accept the entire message of Jesus. I was not able to trust that Jesus entirely. I used to hear the phrase, “You cannot have your cake and eat it …” When I betray Jesus in my sins, I am saying, “I want my cake and eat it.”

Jesus called St. Peter to be the visible head of the Church. He was told, “And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the powers of death shall not prevail against it. I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.” (Mt 16:18-19, Revised Standard Version) Jesus gave St. Peter the assurance that any decision that he makes as the visible head of the Church is endorsed by heaven. When the Pope, the successor of St. Peter, as visible head of the Church, declared that there should be no public celebrations of the Easter Triduum in those countries affected by the pandemic during this time, it was very hard to understand. Could the Pope have made a serious error in giving this instruction? Does he not have any faith that God will protect his people? In my meditation of this station, I could not avoid asking if I had, like Judas, accepted only what I liked or preferred.

When I do not accept the entire message of Jesus, I am also not able to accept the person of Jesus. Could I actually say I have faith in Jesus and yet not be trusting enough to accept everything that Jesus says? One probable source of my betrayal of Jesus is my inability to accept the entire message of Jesus. Can I not ask for a greater faith and trust in Jesus? The question from Job comes to mind here: If we take happiness from God’s hand, must we not take sorrow too? (Job 2:10, Jerusalem Bible)

No comments:

Post a Comment